Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Spring, Sprang, Sprung

Although I frequently complain about the weather here, we are quickly moving into my favorite time of the year. Today is clear blue skies, 82 degrees and perfect. The flowers are blooming, the trees are either budding or better yet in that "baby leaf" period. Yes, I'm sure there is a more technical term for it, but that's what I call it. When the leaves just start to burst and are that magical spring green color. It's the perfect green, not too pale, not too bright and not spoiled by the sun and chlorophyll (gosh, I hope I'm remembering my high school science correctly - I might just check with one of the boys who I KNOW will have the right answer). The color just truly tickles me.

This time of year reminds me why I love living here. I grew up in the Boston area and for anyone who has spent time in Eastern Massachusetts, you know that Western Massachusetts really doesn't exist to those folks at the other end of the state. Seriously. Bostonians for the most part think that this entire third of the state is either one big forest or one big farm. If you had told me when I was 10, 15, even 25 years old that this is where I would be living I would have laughed hysterically at you.

But here I am and I wouldn't trade it for anywhere else (until of course November, when I'll start complaining all over again about the weather). I had the chance to drive on one of my favorite local stretches of road yesterday, dropping the boys at a playdate. Besides being intoxicated by the spring-green, baby-leafed trees and the flowers and such, the farmers were out prepping the fields and there was just this incredible vibe in the air.

It's like that at the store right now too. Tent sale is next weekend, Yarn Harlot at the end of the month, a new knit-along starting on the podcast, photoshoot for the next catalog, new yarns. . . . . . it's a very exciting time. But there are some loose ends I must clear up before getting to far along on other things.

First, the top down sweater. This is the last picture I will post of my sweater until it is done. My progress is going to slow. I will finish the second sleeve today, only 3 or 4 more rows and I'll get the body started, then it has to take a back seat to other projects. One project in particular, that I am late with for the next catalog, which is not good. Everyone else finished in time. . . . kind of embarrassing, but this top-down sweater really hooked me. I've decided on a yarn for the edging and the stitch - I'm going to crochet it.



And here is Pixie's sweater. She is completely done now. I love the edging on the sleeves:



And Kirsten's version done in our 2/14 alpaca/silk on #8 needles - love this!


Several folks have asked how to post pictures of their finished sweaters. All you have to do is email the picture to me as an attachment at readysetknit@yarn.com and I will get it posted here on the blog. A few of you have already sent in your photos. I will work to get those up shortly.

The "hooked" reference above is also why I need the sweater to take a back seat. I have fallen head over heels in love with a pattern from the latest issue of crochetme.com. I love the apron top - even if everyone at the store thinks I've lost it. I swatched for it today during our staff meeting. Poor Steve was making a point, I got up and left the room, all the while he thought I was getting something to help support his commentary. No, I had finished my swatch and needed to get a needle gauge to see if I was getting the right gauge. I think this top, in all black, will be darling. I'm going to use our Southwick, which is a cotton/bamboo blend. I have an idea for my center panel to jazz it up a bit. I wonder if I can get this done in time for our trip to Columbus for TNNA (the buying market). I would love to wear it.

Lastly, I've got to get started on the EZ Baby Surprise Jacket for the next knit-along. I picked my yarn today. I"ll be using Art Yarns Supermerino in color 155. I was thinking of Blue Sky Alpacas' Organic Cotton, in the natural colorations initially. I think it would make a stunning jacket - sophisticated, with a sort of heirloom quality to it. But, I decided on the Supermerino simply because I think Iris' variegated colors will be incredible for this project.

Then, when that is all said and done, I am log-cabinning and nobody, no other project, shall stand in my way! Oh, well, maybe that crochet blanket idea that is floating in my head might intermingle in there too, but really, that's it.

Kathy

NOTE: This post was written on the 8th, but life and issues with uploading the pictures have stood in the way. Sorry it's been so long!
 
Add to Technorati Favorites