Monday, July 28, 2008

Knitting Daily TV Launches!

Interweave's Knitting Daily TV has finally arrived! WEBS is thrilled to be one of the major sponsors of this exciting new PBS show!


The website is now live and full of information about each episode. Interweave purchased the rights to Shay Pendray's Needlearts Studio and completely revamped the show. Hosted by Eunny Jang, Kim Werker, Liz Gipson and Shay Pendray, KDTV covers a wide variety of fiber crafts, although knitting is certainly the main focus. They all did such an amazing job!


There are thirteen total episodes in this first season and cover topics from "The Sweater", "Knitting Lace", "Cables" and so much more. Each show features segments that are geared towards the show's topic and include things like "Getting Started" or a "You Made It" where the host and a guest discuss and highlight a single project made and interpreted by different people. There's also the "Progressive Project" in which a project is covered step by step from start to finish. There are lots of great tips and tricks and general information.


As I've blogged about previously, I had the opportunity to tape several segments of the show. I have a set of the DVDs sitting here at my house and I have to be perfectly honest - I haven't had the courage to watch them yet!





I know, I am being ridiculous. The first time we recorded the podcast it was torture listening to myself back. Now, it's not big deal and I can honestly assess when I've done a reasonable job or where things could have been done better. I have no doubt that will be the case with these shows, but it's still intimidating!


For those of you right here in Western Mass (actually, Massachusetts in general) neither of the PBS stations (Boston & Springfield) are carrying the show. Although there is a wee little piece of me that is just an itty, bitty bit relieved, the reality is the shows are super and deserve air time. It's important to note that PBS programming is not within Interweave's control. Each PBS station can independently decide if they are going to carry the show. If you want the show in your area, now is the time to write a letter, send and email or make a phone call. Here is the contact information for Springfield and Boston. You can get more information on this at the Knitting Daily TV website.


Also on the website you will find many of the patterns that are demonstrated and discussed on the show, along with some show clips, etc. Be sure to check it out!


The highlight of the day today was an impromptu visit from Marianne Adams, owner of The Yarn Boutique in Lafayette, CA. She and her husband Bob are on an East Coast Adventure and made time to stop by for a visit. Marianne & I have been friends for awhile now and although we chat on email and such, we only see each other at tradeshows, which is far from conducive for socializing in any meaningful way. This was such a nice treat and the first time I've been able to meet her husband. I only wish my day hadn't been so hectic, but it was great to catch up, if even for only a little bit. I've never had the chance to visit her store, but if any of you find yourself in her area, be sure to check it out!


I also owe a shout out to Katkoe on Ravelry. She has a great avatar featuring stitch markers she crafted herself. I commented to her that I loved them and she was nice enough to send me a pair! I was so touched! There is nothing better than surprise gifts:







These so epitomize my knitting, it's almost NOT funny! It is a good reminder for me that is only yarn and it is only knitting and it is NOT the end of the world (even if sometimes it feels that way). Thanks Katkoe!!!

Kathy

P.S. For any of you who have Facebook pages, I have finally set-up my own page and would love to add some more friends!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cute stitch markers. Looking forward to seeing the show. I'm sure you're great. FYI, Marianne's shop is actually called The Yarn Boutique. You have the right link :-).

Kathy said...

OMG Jocelyn - thanks for catching the typo!! I got myself all flustered because I had typed up the entire post, was adding pictures when all of the text AFTER the KDTV piece got deleted as I was fixing the spacing, so I had to retype it. I AM SO HORRIFIED!!!

It's now fixed and Marianne - when you read this - you know me well enough to know that I feel awful.

Jocelyn - you saved me! I would love to send you a little "thank you" - can you PM me at kathy.elkins@yarn.com or on Ravelry (Kathy) with your address?

Deb said...

Thanks for the link to the PBS stations! NH Public TV isn't carrying it either. If you want more friends, I'm on Facebook too.

Abby Franquemont said...

Kathy, my husband and I watched the first episode last week when it aired, and it was a good episode. I have to say that you came off GREAT on TV. You were poised, well-spoken, not nervous-looking, totally cool. You did wonderfully.

Kathy said...

Abby - Thanks for the reassurance! I'm definitely my own worst critic.

K~

marjaknits said...

We had a great time on our visit to WEBS. Bob really enjoyed your gracious guided tour of the REAL warehouse - the one where they pick all the online orders. He manages our back stock, which is actually in a 10x19 storage locker, and does an amazing job of it.

I'm so glad we were able to get by to visit on what really was an excellent and almost totally unplanned adventure. It almost makes me want to resurrect my very out-of-date blog before I forget all of the lovely thoughts I had about the trip.

As for whatever booboo you made, I was late to the party and didn't read the entry until today, so I'm happily clueless.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites