I have not been feeling well the past couple of days. Definitely fighting something off. We were suppose to be at a swanky black-tie thing tonight, but I knew I'd be sleeping on the crudite by 7:30, so we passed. Steve is off at a UMass hockey game with J1 and J2 is working on his new 1,075 piece Lego set that he bought with allowance and b'day cash (yes, the box is for 8-14, he's 6 and doing just fine). I have some general industry info to pass along, so I thought this would be a good time.
So, first, some of you may have heard of Stitch N' Pitch. It is a collaborative program between Major League Baseball (MLB) and The National Needlearts Association (TNNA) that brings together two American traditions — Baseball and the NeedleArts. Go to a ball game and knit, crochet, embroider, cross-stitch and needlepoint. Sit among friends, family and colleagues and cheer on your favorite Baseball Team. This event is for ANYONE who has an interest in the perfect double play — NeedleArts and Baseball; beginners, intermediate and experts are all welcome. (TNNA) and your Baseball Team are providing fun giveaways and surprises that are included with special Stitch N' Pitch game tickets. By clicking on the link above, you will see all of the major league teams that have signed up for this event.
So, Steve and I were told at TNNA that our beloved Red Sox were participating this year. We were thrilled and a bit surprised - it's not like they have trouble selling tickets. We had a complete program put together by the time we landed back home from San Diego, told the staff (who were even more thrilled than us) and we were ready to start rockin' and rollin', just needed the game date. Well, there isn't one. It's a no go. We are (insert really loud, screaming profanity here) unhappy with this development. But for those of you in an area that is having an event - GO!! Even if you don't like baseball all that much - GO! This is a great opportunity to hang out with fellow stitchers and promote the joys of needlearts to those who have yet to discover it - plus you'll be supporting your LYS who has worked INCREDIBLY hard to pull off the event. Plus, we'll be sending special savings coupons and yarn to most of the games' goodie bags!
Steve and I are not ones to wallow in what could've been - we've got a plan "B" in the works (trust me - there is always a plan B). Stay tuned for more info once we get a our proverbial ducks in a row.
Next up is the fight against breast cancer. As those of you who are regular shoppers know, this is a cause that is near and dear to us. We host our Breast Cancer Awareness Event every October and do what we can to financially support local efforts. TNNA has also embraced the cause on multiple levels. You can read about their efforts at the TNNA website. There is one program that I want to take a few moments to bring to your attention, which is One Pixel At A Time. The goals of this effort are as follows:
- Raise awareness of the Breast Cancer Research Stamp, a semi-postal stamp issued in 1998 by the United States Postal Service. To date, this stamp has raised over $50 million to support important research in the fight against breast cancer. Click here for more information about the stamp.
- Raise funds for Living Beyond Breast Cancer (LBBC), a national non-profit organization providing direct support to those whose lives have been affected by this far-reaching disease.
- Expand the reach and impact of Stitch to WIN Against Breast Cancer, a country-wide, outreach program of The National NeedleArts Association (TNNA).
So, why am I telling you all about this? Because you can participate in this effort:
Play Stitch to WIN Against Breast Cancer!
As part of The National NeedleArts Association’s Stitch to WIN Against Breast Cancer Campaign, the Breast Cancer Research Stamp was recreated in each of the five hand needlearts. Play Stitch to WIN and add your stitches to the thousands of others who helped complete these wall hangings, presented to the Smithsonian National Postal Museum, October 4, 2006.
- Help support Living Beyond Breast Cancer — 80% of net proceeds benefit LBBC *.
- Receive valuable, surprise gift coupons from over 40 sponsors
- Receive a special discount coupon from Spa-quest.com and become eligible for a FREE spa vacation.
- Discover the fun of the hand needlearts: knitting, crochet, needlepoint, cross-stitch & embroidery. Register on OnePixelAtATime.org
- Receive a special discount coupon from Spa-quest.com and become eligible for a FREE spa vacation. Register here for your free coupon!
- Discover the fun of the hand needlearts: knitting, crochet, needlepoint, cross-stitch & embroidery.
* Living Beyond Breast Cancer receives 80% of net proceeds from the sale of the pixels (3 million total). “Net proceeds” refers to all money received minus hosting and processing fees.
How do you Play?
Go to the One Pixel At A Time website and help to complete the Breast CAncer Research Stamps by purchasing a Pixel - think of it as a stitch. When you get to the site, you can purchase 4 pixels for $20.00 - 80% of your dollars go to the organziation Living Beyond Breast Cancer. What is a pixel? Well, a pixel is a tiny square of color that, just like a stitch, in combination with thousands of others, creates a complete pattern or image on a screen.
Besides helping the fight against breast cancer and receiving all of the cool stuff mentioned above, there is a bit of WEBS pride involved! For every person that signs up as "WEBS", Steve and I get a chance to win a free hotel stay at the next TNNA market in Columbus, OH this June. In all honesty, as nice as the free stay would be, I want the world to know what incredible customers we have - I want WEBS to win not for the prize, but because the issue is important. If you can, we ask that you go to the site and fill in your pixels. Together, one pixel, one stitch at a time, we truly can make a difference!
So there you have it - two great endeavors by our industry that we hope you will consider participating in.
Check in tomorrow for a BIG GAME EVENT Update and I hope to see you all there!